Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year - New Goals

As 2011 fades into the sunset, I am clearing out the cobwebs and trying for a new and better year. I know there will be a lot of challenges for the coming year. Some, I can't even imagine how I will find the strength and energy to handle, some challenges I will gladly take on and some I may tackle with reservations and surprise myself, finding untapped reservoirs of energy.  My lesson (a very hard learned one) for 2011 was that with an acceptance of my fibromyalgia, I have to scale back what I can do and realize that I do not have the stamina, nor mental capacity to do the things I used to do and thought I would be able to do. I had always imagined myself very active into my 80's. I was always in pretty good health in my younger years. Even with the residual pain and osteoarthritis resulting from a severe auto accident in my teens, I got out for long walks in the woods, camping trips, weekend art fairs and DIY projects at home. 2011 was a year of coming to terms with that loss and grieving the loss.

This year will mark my 60th. Was thinking I might embark upon a dream road trip, a dream photo shoot across the West. Looks like that will have to take a back burner. The dream will never die, however, I am now tasked with caring for a pregnant daughter that is having a very difficult pregnancy. I also suspect I may be a prime caregiver for a new grand child. Doesn't life have a way of taking you in directions you never planned for?

Just before she got pregnant, I was beginning to get involved in our local farmers market and CSA. I was asked to provide freshly baked breads for the CSA and have also developed a following at the Farmer's Market. That means baking bread, scones, and now biscotti 3 weeks out of 4 each month. Additionally, I was looking forward to being pretty active in the art community and getting more of my art in galleries and on-line. Just before the end of the year, I was asked to run the GED in the Garden project. I also bought myself a jeweler's torch and planned on working more with PMC.  And lastly, I am on a self-study course for Zentangle. Yes,  I am trying to scale back and not get too overwhelmed and over-booked. Good Luck, huh.

So now I have to make some hard choices and think about what I can actually get done, and what might have to wait until another year. In the mean time, the laundry needs to be done.

No comments: