Friday, September 9, 2011

Moving to Ajo

Changes in the Fall Air

I am sad to leave Silver City. It is a truly sweet town with so many wonderful cultural and art events throughout the year. I will miss all the friends I have made. The down side of a small town is that affordable housing is few and far between. Due to the avarice of my current landlord, I have lost my housing and with the mines opening and hiring, there are basically no suitable housing options for me in Silver City. I am sad and to some degree, feel defeated.

However, as they say - "when one door closes, another opens."  Before moving to Silver City, I became aware of The Curley School Artisans Apartments and the work of the International Sonoran Desert Alliance (ISDA). I was intrigued. However, the allure of living in a mountain town in southwestern New Mexico held sway. Well, we know the curve in the road of this journey.

So, now I am moving to the Curley School in Ajo, and looking forward to all of the wonderful opportunities of working with the ISDA. There are opportunities to teach, to participate in international arts and cultural programs, and  learn from fellow artists. I look forward to taking the next step in my arts and completely devoting myself to my growth as a studio artist. That means working on ideas that have filled many notebooks and napkins. That means developing my skills in working with precious metal clay and fused class and combining these media with polymer clay creations. That means growing my confidence in showing in more galleries, exhibits, shows and fairs in Tucson, the Phoenix area,  and beyond.

Moving to Ajo mean dreaming new dreams. So here we go!

No comments: